Monday, October 19, 2009

Martian Sightings for December, 2009



BLACKEST NIGHT
BLACKEST NIGHT #6
Written by Geoff Johns
Art and cover by Ivan Reis & Oclair Albert
Variant cover by Rodolfo Migliari
Sketch variant cover by Ivan Reis
The secrets of Nekron are revealed as darkness consumes the DC Universe.
Everything else: TOP SECRET.
Retailers please note: This issue will ship with three covers. For every 25 copies of the Standard Edition (with a cover by Ivan Reis & Oclair Albert), retailers may order one copy of the Variant Edition (with a cover by Rodolfo Migliari). For every 100 copies of the Standard Edition, retailers may order one copy of the Sketch Variant Edition (with a cover by Ivan Reis). Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.
On sale December 23 • 6 of 8 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US


Still not 100% on this, but with details "top secret" and everything centering here, Black Lantern Martian Manhunter readers should be on this.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #40
Written by James Robinson
Art and cover by Mark Bagley & Rob Hunter
The JLA t escape the BLACKEST NIGHT! Faced with the continuing threat of the Black Lanterns, Zatanna, Vixen and the rest of the team confront their pasts when fallen friends and foes return for blood!
On sale December 16 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US


Though partially obscured, this seems very likely to be the debut of Nekron's Justice League Detroit. Black Lanterns Vibe, Steel II, Elongated Man, Sue Dibney, and hopefully Aquaman and Martian Manhunter vs. surviving members Zatanna and Vixen. Who would have ever thought those would be the last two living, by the way? Also, I hesitate to ask, what of poor Gypsy? Whose side, if any, will she be on?

10 comments:

Tom said...

Newsrama already has the January solicits:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091019-dc-january-2010-solicitations.html

http://i.newsarama.com/dcnew/jan2010/10/hdcu.martian_manhunter.jpg

Looks like he's had a few too many Chocos/Oreos.

Diabolu Frank said...

Yeah, I know. Martian Sightings were always intended to fall between the advance solicits at places like CBR & Newsarama, and the actual order deadlines at comic shops. Also, I wait until I read the entire Previews, so I can check every section for Martian Manhunter related items. It worked great last month, since there was a ton of side stuff (DVD set, bag, etc.) outside the DC section. It backfired this month, as there wasn't even anything f'sure in the DC section, and zip elsewhere. Somes ya wins, somes ya loses.

LissBirds said...

There's a new Silver Age figure of J'onn coming soon from DC Direct:

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/2009/10/dc-direct-november-solicitations

Diabolu Frank said...

I'm getting the impression I should start basing Martian Sightings on advance solicits rather than the current pattern.

Anyway, that is one weird figure, Liss. Those eyebrows are way off, the red eyes are creepy and anachronistic, his briefs are too brief, and his boots are too short and solid. That muscular build looks like nothing Joe Certa drew, and though it's supposedly based on George Perez, it looks nothing like him, either. The one real plus is that he looks to be more articulated than any standard size Manhunter figure by a country mile, but doesn't hold a candle to by 9" and 13"ers.

mathematicscore said...

It's sort of the silver age thought modern glasses. I'll buy that for a dollar (probably not literally).

LissBirds said...

The current figure that I'm really disappointed with is the JLI Series 2:

http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=11395

I mean, least they could do is get body proportions right.

The JLA figure from 2001 is still by far my favorite. (Which is the same sculpt as the JLA Classified figure except repainted, and unbenkownst to me I bought both, so there are two Martian Manhunters in two shades of green sitting on my dresser.)

http://www.joeacevedo.com/images/figurezone/dcdfigures/dcdsecret2manhunter.jpg

Diabolu Frank said...

The JLI figure is an abomination. It vaguely resembles Kevin Maguire's latter day attempts to draw J'Onn like Howard Porter.

My favorite DC Direct MM figure sculpt was the one you linked to, but with the original darker paint job. My all-time favorites are the Super Powers Collection and the JLA 9" figure, although I haven't opened my 13" yet, so that may be subject to change. I love Mego-style articulation, and the face sculpt on the 9" is damned handsome.

Tom said...

I don't know why, but I like the Silver Age figure's goofy facial expression. I don't collect action figures, so I can probably live without it, but if there were a Zook to go with it, I'd have to buy both.

Diabolu Frank said...

Zook, Tom? Don't tease me. You'll get me thinking of a Professor Hugo/Mr. V two-pack, and I'll start sobbing openly. Daddy want!

Tom said...

I'm saving my money for the Mr. Moth/Human Squirrel two-pack.