Tuesday, May 11, 2010

2009 Rittenhouse Justice League of America Archives Sketch Cards by Tom Valente



I've got a final tomorrow, but after studying yesterday, I feel confident in a high B/low A. That freed up tonight for posting, but unsurprisingly, I'm in no mood to commit to anything involved in the least. I finally opted to tidy up the blog's long out of date pin-up art section, and figured I'd check out a few of the added links to see if any featured artists had turned up with new offerings.



First time out, I clicked on Tom Valente's blog, whom you may remember from the 2007 "ICE COLD MILK and AN OREO COOKIE" sketch or his 2009 "LATE NIGHT SNACK..." color art. Valente contributed what looks to be hundreds of pieces of original sketch card art to the overpriced, uninformative and terribly dull Rittenhouse Archives Silver Age JLofA trading card set. Many of these artists seem to come up with a model set, which they then use to replicate variations of the same drawing by hand. Valente, clearly insane, seems to have crafted at least dozens and possibly more variations, assuming he didn't just draw something different every time.



The artist chose a bunch of his favorites to display on his blog, including the three Martian Manhunter sketches you see here. Other featured characters include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, the Atom, Black Canary, Green Arrow, Zatanna, and Green Lantern (Chocolate & Vanilla varieties.) Visit his spotlight post for the lot!

3 comments:

LissBirds said...

I love sketch cards...nice, raw, un-digital art. I especially like the type of green he choose, too.

Good luck on your final!

Diabolu Frank said...

Thanks Liss! I think I did pretty good. I was extra careful, and the next-to-last person to leave after 3 hours. Unfortunately, my girlfriend's killed my buzz, as anxiety while studying for her final has exiled me to the living room with only a laptop. I've got to figure out how I'm going to post anything without a scanner now...

LissBirds said...

You can draw stick figure renditions of what you were going to scan in Microsoft Paint. I'd find that amusing.

Three hours...I can't even watch a movie that long.