Wednesday, October 27, 2010

2010 "DCUniverse Vol.7: The Injustice Gang" Scorch by alexmax

Click To Enlarge


Deviant Artist alexmax has done a series of themed DC Universe group shots that I quite like, and even created an all-encompassing wallpaper that pays homage to the underrated Marvel Universe Series III card set. Of "DCUniverse Vol.7: The Injustice Gang" he said:

More Villains. This time, it's the Injustice Gang. I wanted to make a lineup with, what I feel are, the most iconic arch-enemies for each of these guys. Inspired in large part by what Grant Morrison did during the Rock of Ages storyline...

Scorch: This was another case of not knowing who was the main villian for MMH. I first thought of a White Martian, but white martians are an army, not just 1 guy. Then I figured I should draw Fernus, but Fernus is just another identity of J'onn... so I chose Scorch, who is technically a Superman villain, but she controls hellfire, and unleashed (unwillingly) Fernus. Yes, she is in the same pose seen in the cover for JLA #84.

Alessandro should have given the blog a pass if he needed reference on Martian Manhunter rogues, but Scorch pin-ups aren't easy to Google when they exist at all, so I'm happy with his choice. Aside from Bel Juz, the ladies of the Vile Menagerie have been given short shrift this month, but I'll try to make that up in February. Anyway, J'Onn has as much claim to Scorch as Superman, since he was part of the story arc that introduced her, and teamed-up with Kal-El to clash with her in a follow-up appearance before that JLA story. I like the more mature and trashier look he gave her, too.

For more spotlights from this mural, see the following:

No comments: