Monday, February 28, 2011

2011 Martian Manhunter watercolor by Kyle Starks

Click To Enlarge


I’m totally doing these stupid watercolor draw-draws now. I’m teaching myself and whatnot. So, there’s that.

New stuff.

This is a watercolor painting of Batman. It’s, clearly, the worst painting of BATMAN ever.

Kyle Starks has a webcomic series called Ricky Thunder about a pro wrestler. He also has a blog called Guinea Pig Theatre that used to recast movie scenes with rodents, but now focuses more on 4 Panel Comix mocking name brand super-heroes, his ABCs of Mediocre Marvel Villainy, and other such shenanigans. I'd like to single out 10 Former Avengers You Do Not Want On Your Avengers Team, which says what we're all thinking, but with better material. I only started reading his work yesterday, but so far it's been pretty darned funny and worth your while.

Starks is also a big Martian Manhunter fan, as evidenced by his recoloring and ridiculing Martian Manhuner panels from Detective Comics 304. You could probably run a blog off random panels from Silver Age J'onn J'onzz stories as springboards for jokes, but hardly anyone bothers, so it's a treat when someone steps up to the plate. Kenny is the kind of fan who will randomly decide to draw a picture of Batman The Green Hornet slightly larger than a quarter and then paint it. Respect, dude.

P.S. Any Captain Marvel fans interested in a synopsis of his first appearance?

5 comments:

LissBirds said...

Great blog discovery! I was laughing pretty hard at his joke about the ABC's of how to use a gun.

Diabolu Frank said...

I didn't land on Guinea Pig Theatre... Guinea Pig Theatre landed on me!

I liked Evangelical Christian Iron Man. I don't think I linked it, but it's worth rooting around for.

K. Starks said...

I love this entire post.

Because my name is Kyle Starks!

I wish it was Kenny Sparks

Thanks, for the post from one Manhunter lover to another.

K. Starks said...

I love this blog more than anything.

Because my name is Kyle Starks!

Though, I wish it was Kenny Sparks.

From one Manhunter lover to another, thanks a bunch!

Diabolu Frank said...

Hilarious, given how many URLs with the highly unambiguous address of "kylesparks" were hotlinked in that post. I fixed the f-up here and on your second upcoming costume redesign post. Sorrys....