Thursday, July 14, 2011

2011 Flashpoint Martian Manhunter designs by Kevin Nowlan



I never had much interest in Flashpoint, but once it was revealed that J'Onn J'Onzz would not have a substantial role in the event, I really lost interest. Still, as I recall, I ordered The Outsider #3 based on the assumption that it would be the one comic to in some way involve the Martian Manhunter. Cover artist Kevin Nowlan, who has not produced enough art for our neck of the woods, revealed on his blog Wednesday that he designed Flashpoint Martian Manhunter, confirming the character's identity. As you can see on the page, Nowlan actually went through a few designs, including one that better resembled Abe Sapien. You might also like to see his preliminary cover sketches for The Outsider #3. The villain seems interesting from what little we've seen, so I might like him to stick around for the Vile Menagerie at some point.

You might also take a look at the solicitation information for Stormwatch #2. We'll take a closer look in the relatively near future...

2 comments:

LissBirds said...

Well, alien-looking redesigns are not really my cup of tea, so I'll just keep quiet.

But I just read the solicitation copy for Outsiders #2. I guess the Moon becomes sentient? Interesting that they rated it "T+" And it's part of the "Edge" group of books--an official grouping, or just a casual term? Piques my interest somewhat, I guess.

Frank, weren't you going to post a big ol' explanation/theory/etc. of how J'onn's role in the DCnÜ?

Diabolu Frank said...

Yeah, I've been sitting on that. Probably this weekend I'll release the beast. If I wait too long, it may become irrelevant.