Wednesday, October 24, 2012

2004 Wizard World Chicago Martian Manhunter sketchbook bust by Tim Seeley

Click To Enlarge


Speaking as Old Man Funnybook with well over three decades as a fan, I don't actually enjoy reading very many comic books anymore. I still check out a fair amount of books each month, but mostly to crudely take a dump on them as the product of failed screenwriters too ignorant, incompetent and lazy to write to the strengths of the only medium that will have them while wasting the time and talents of artists who want to do more creatively than concept art for video games. Modern comics suck not because I'm a fuddy-duddy and they're too cerebral/slick/political/transgressive, but because 99.99% of the population will not hand over $4 for four minutes of an unsatisfying middle chapter of the journey of a scripter up his own bunghole in search of workmanlike derivation of greater talents' moth infested leavings. I don't think it's an accident that several of my few remaining preferred writers are in fact artists who write for other artists from the perspective of knowledge about how to construct each page of a comic book story from the ground up. Tim Seeley is one of those few, and I recommend trying his new Image series with Mike Norton, Revival, as well as his back catalog of work-for-hire and creator owned properties like Hack/Slash. Here, he offers a very Wrightsonesque Manhunter from Mars, though I think Seeley demonstrates a stronger, more heroic take.

2 comments:

Anj said...

I missed out on an opportunity to get a Seeley commission a couple of years ago and have regretted it ever since.

Nice one.

LissBirds said...

Very classic-looking. I'd like to see this become J'onn's current style.